Back-to-School, Back-to-Basics: Finding Your Beauty Routine in a Busy New Season






There is something about the start of a new school year that makes everything feel like a fresh start.

New pencils.
New notebooks.
New routines.
New schedules.

And, if you're a mom, a teacher, a homeschool mom, or anyone whose calendar suddenly gets a whole lot fuller in August…possibly a desperate search for the snooze button.

This week feels especially fitting for me because homeschool officially begins in our house on Wednesday, and I've already stepped back into my role as a paraeducator.

So yes—back-to-school is happening in my world, too.

And it has me thinking about something we don't always put on the back-to-school checklist:

How are we going to take care of ourselves while we're taking care of everyone else?

A New Season Doesn't Have to Mean a New You

I love the feeling of a fresh school year.

There is something hopeful about sharpening the pencils, organizing the supplies, opening a brand-new planner, and thinking, This year, we're going to be so organized.

Whether that lasts until October is another story. 😉

But I don't think a new season requires us to reinvent ourselves.

Sometimes it simply invites us to get back to the basics.

Get up.

Get dressed.

Take a few minutes for yourself.

Put on the mascara.

Do something with your hair.

Swipe on a little lip color.

And walk out the door feeling like you again.

That doesn't have to take an hour.

In fact, I don't think it should.


Our verse for this week is Proverbs 23:12:

“Apply thine heart unto instruction, and thine ears to the words of knowledge."

I love the intentionality in that verse.

Apply your heart.

Pay attention.

Be willing to learn.

And honestly, isn't that what a new school year is all about?

We're learning new routines. Our children are learning new things. Teachers are preparing to teach. Homeschool families are finding their rhythm.

And maybe we can apply that same intentionality to ourselves.

Not perfection.

Intention.

Your Five-Minute Back-to-School Face

One of the biggest beauty lessons I've learned over the years is that you don't need to do everything to feel put together.

Especially on busy mornings.

If I have five minutes, I'm not trying to recreate a full glam look. I'm looking for the things that make the biggest difference.

A little skincare.

Brows.

Mascara.

A touch of color on the cheeks.

Something on the lips.

Done.

The goal isn't to look like you spent an hour getting ready.

The goal is to look like you cared enough about yourself to take five minutes.

And sometimes, that little bit of effort changes the whole way you walk into your day.

And Then There Are the Nails…

Which brings us to this week's Beauty Battle.

Because if we're talking about busy back-to-school schedules, we can't ignore the hands that are doing all the work!

Packing lunches.

Typing emails.

Grading papers.

Washing dishes.

Opening snack packages that apparently require the strength of three grown adults.

Helping with homework.

Making coffee.

And, hopefully, occasionally doing something just for yourself.

So this week we're putting three manicure options head-to-head:

Press-ons. Salon manicures. DIY polish.

Which one gives a busy woman the best combination of beauty, time, cost, and convenience?

We'll settle that in this week's Beauty Battle.

And I have a feeling the answer may have less to do with which manicure is technically “best” and more to do with something I've been saying for years:
The best beauty routine is the one that fits your life.

Give Yourself Permission to Keep It Simple

Back-to-school season can get busy quickly.

Before we know it, the calendar is full, the laundry has multiplied, and we're wondering how it is possible for one child to need seventeen different things for school.

So let's not add unnecessary pressure to the list.

You don't need a complicated beauty routine.

You don't need a drawer full of products.

You don't need to look perfectly polished every single morning.

You just need a few things that make you feel good.

Maybe that's five minutes with your skincare.

Maybe it's your favorite lipstick.

Maybe it's a fresh manicure.

Maybe it's putting on earrings before you leave the house.

Maybe it's simply getting dressed in something other than yesterday's leggings.

Whatever it is, let it be intentional.

Here's to a New School Year

This week, as I prepare for a new homeschool year and continue my work as a paraeducator, I'm reminding myself that new seasons don't have to be overwhelming.

We can learn.

We can adjust.

We can make room for what matters.

And we can take care of ourselves along the way.

So sharpen those pencils.

Fill those water bottles.

Pack those backpacks.

Set the alarm.

And before you rush out the door to take care of everyone else…

take five minutes for yourself.

You deserve to feel put together, too.

And if the morning gets completely chaotic?

There's always tomorrow.

That's one of the beautiful things about a new day.



Beauty should fit your life—not complicate it. Because confidence is always in style. 💕 

– Heather | Beauty Quips 


I may receive a commission on sales made from links in this post. Read my full advertising disclosure here 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Let's Talk Hair: Some common haircare ingredients to avoid

Hair Care

Welcome to my blog!